Classic, buttery shortbread cookies are perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. Try grinding 1 cup of oats to a powder and using that in place of 1 cup of the flour for a different taste.
Makes: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place baking sheet in freezer to chill.
- Cream butters and brown sugar. Stir in flour to make a soft dough. Add a little more flour if needed. Knead a few minutes.
- Roll out to 1⁄2 thick on a surface covered with confectioners’ sugar.
- Cut in rectangles and place on an ungreased baking sheet; bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool completely.