This creamy seafood and rice casserole can be made ahead, refrigerated and then baked when you need it. Prepare it up to the point of baking, cover with aluminum foil, and put it in the fridge. When you are ready to bake it, just add an additional 10 to 15 minutes to the baking time.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bag (12 oz.) frozen raw shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined
- 1 jar (15 oz.) Alfredo sauce
- 1 bag (8 oz.) shredded Italian four-cheese mix, divided
- 4 cans (6 oz.) lump crabmeat, drained
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine white rice with chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until almost tender. Off the heat, fluff with a fork, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add breadcrumbs, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp curl and turn pink, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir in Alfredo sauce and 3⁄4 bag of Italian cheese mix, cook until cheese melts and sauce is creamy. Remove from heat. Stir in rice, crabmeat, lemon juice, and parsley. Tip into prepared baking dish and cover with the remaining 1⁄4 bag of Italian cheese mix and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sauce bubbles and cheese begins to brown.