Seafood and Chorizo Paella
You need a really big pan for this—you can get paella pans made of heavy metal that has been coated with enamel.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 chickens, cut into 10 pieces
- 1 lb. chorizo (Spanish sausage), cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups rice
- 5½ cups chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. saffron
- 1 package (10 oz.) tiny frozen peas (petit pois)
- 18 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 18 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1½ lbs. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brown the chicken and chorizo in the olive oil and push them to the side of the pan. Add the onion, garlic, and rice, stirring to soften the onion and garlic and coat the rice.
- Add the broth and saffron. Mix well.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 20 minutes or until the rice begins to take up the broth. Add the peas.
- Arrange the clams on top of the rice mixture and return to the oven. When clams start to open, add the mussels. When both are open, add the shrimp and mix them into the rice. Cook for 3 minutes more. Serve in the cooking pan.