Seared Halibut with Pesto
Fresh pesto is a snap to make, and in this recipe meaty halibut is seared and finished in the oven.
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley leaves, packed
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 halibut fillets, about 6 oz. each
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- For pesto, in a food processor, pulse together basil, parsley, shallot, garlic, walnuts, pine nuts, 2/3 cup olive oil, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a cast iron skillet on high heat for 2 minutes. Place fish directly on pan. Sear approximately 1-2 minutes and turn. (It will smoke and cook very fast - be careful not to overcook.) Place in oven and cook for about 5 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 140°F.
- Serve with pesto.