Seasoned Black Beans
This recipe can be kept refrigerated for 3 days. For a colorful presentation, serve the black beans with sour cream, chopped cilantro, and diced red onions as a side dish, or use them in recipes such as burritos or chili
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutes
- 1 lb. dried black beans
- ½ medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 slice bacon
- 5 quarts water
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- In a 6-quart soup pot, cover beans with boiling water; let stand with pot uncovered for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Sauté onion in a large pot with the bacon for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the soaked, drained beans. Add 5 quarts of water. Add the jalapeño, cumin, salt, and honey. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. To see if the beans are done, blow on a few in a spoon. When they are done, the skin will peel off when you blow on them.