Seasoned Black Beans
This recipe requires soaking the dried black beans overnight, but started from dried beans is worth the effort. Seasoned black beans are great to have on hand. They are a great addition to salads and wraps.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. dried black beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. salt
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the cumin, oregano, and pepper flakes. Cook for another minute.
- Add the beans to the pot along with the remaining 4 cups of water and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the cilantro and salt. Cover and cook for an additional 30–60 minutes, until the beans are tender and thick. Taste and adjust seasonings.