The variety of seeds in this recipe provides super nutrition by way of protein, vitamins, and essential fatty acids. Satisfyingly crunchy and delicious!
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, warm (110°F–115°F), divided
- 1⁄4 cup agave syrup
- 1⁄4 cup soy milk
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds, divided
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds, shelled
- 2 Tbsp. millet
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseeds
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- Dissolve yeast in 1⁄4 cup warm water in a medium bowl. Allow to sit 10 to 15 minutes to get bubbly. Add agave syrup, soy milk, and remaining 1 1⁄4 cups warm water, stirring to blend. Mix in sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, millet, and flaxseeds.
- In a large bowl, whisk together bread flour, whole-wheat flour, and salt. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture, mixing until dough begins to come together. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional bread flour as needed, for about 10 minutes. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover, and allow to rise in a warm area for 1 1⁄2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Form each piece into a round loaf shape and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining sunflower seeds on top of each loaf. Cover and allow to rise for an additional 40 to 50 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut a 1⁄4-inch-deep slice down the length of the loaf. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until loaf is browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to wire racks to cool.