The variety of seeds in this recipe provides super nutrition by way of protein, vitamins, and essential fatty acids. Satisfyingly crunchy and delicious!
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2¼ tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1½ cups water, warm (110°F–115°F), divided
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- ¼ cup soymilk
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds, divided
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, shelled
- 2 Tbsp. millet
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseeds
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- Dissolve yeast in ¼ cup warm water in a medium bowl. Allow to sit 10–15 minutes to get bubbly. Add agave syrup, soymilk, and remaining 1¼ cups warm water, stirring to blend. Mix in sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, millet, and flaxseeds.
- In a large bowl, whisk together bread flour, whole-wheat flour, and salt. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture, mixing until dough begins to come together. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional bread flour as needed, for about 10 minutes. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover, and allow to rise in a warm area for 1½ hours, or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Form each piece into a round loaf shape and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining sunflower seeds on top of each loaf. Cover and allow to rise for an additional 40–50 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut a ¼" deep slice down the length of the loaf. Bake for 25–30 minutes until loaf is browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to wire racks to cool.