These breadsticks freeze very well. To thaw, let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, then heat in the toaster oven for 2–3 minutes until hot.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. warm water, divided
- 2 packages (¼ oz.) active dry yeast
- ½ cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2½ cups bread flour
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup poppy seeds, dill seeds, sesame seeds or any combination
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup warm water and yeast; let stand for 10 minutes until bubbly. Add milk, honey, olive oil, and salt and mix well. Stir in whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, and ½ cup bread flour; beat for 1 minute.
- Stir in enough bread flour to make a firm dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and let stand for 10 minutes.
- On shallow plate, combine egg white and water and beat until foamy. On another shallow plate, combine seeds and salt and mix well.
- Divide dough in half, then divide those halves into thirds, then into thirds again to make 18 pieces. Roll each piece into a 1" wide rope. Dip in egg-white mixture, then in seed mixture to coat. Place on cookie sheet.
- Let breadsticks rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake breadsticks for 12–17 minutes or until deep golden brown and crisp. Let cool on wire racks.