Seeded Sandwich Loaf
This lovely loaf makes every sandwich a healthy sandwich.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 3⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. flax seeds
- In a large bowl, combine milk, honey, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup flour and stir to combine. Add butter, egg, salt, and enough remaining flour to create a firm dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 8 minutes. Return to bowl, dust with flour, and cover loosely with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. Rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Coat a 9" × 5" loaf pan with pan spray, and line the bottom and short sides with a strip of parchment. Turn risen dough onto a floured surface and shape into an oblong loaf. Place into prepared pan, seam-side down, and set aside to rise again for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Gently coat the surface of the risen dough with milk. Mix the seeds together and sprinkle generously onto the surface. Bake until golden brown and hollow sounding, about 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan, and cool completely on a rack.