Sesame Boston Brown Bread
Traditionally made in tin cans, this bread is dark, dense, and satisfying. The seeds add a warm nutty crunch.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups soy milk, less 2 Tbsp.
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine soy milk and vinegar in a small bowl; allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sesame seeds, baking soda, and brown sugar. Stir in molasses and soy milk mixture until just combined. Fold in raisins.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from pan to cool.