Sesame California Rolls
You may use lump crabmeat instead of imitation crab legs if desired. Mix it with a dab of mayonnaise to hold it together. Serve with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 sheets nori (seaweed)
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 4 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1 medium avocado
- 8 imitation crab legs
- ½ cucumber, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- Cut the nori in half and lay one piece on a bamboo sushi mat covered with plastic wrap. Cover the nori with sushi rice, about 1" thick.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds over the rice and press them in lightly. Turn the nori over so the rice side is down on the sushi mat. Position it on the bottom edge of the mat.
- Peel the avocado and cut it into slices. Place several slices on the bottom edge of the nori spanning the entire width. Place the imitation crabmeat above the avocado in the same manner. Add several cucumber strips above the crab.
- Roll up the sushi mat like a carpet, with the filling becoming the middle of the sushi roll. Use the mat as a guide and continue rolling until you have a roll with rice on the outside. Cut the roll in half and then cut the two halves into thirds. Turn the pieces cut-side up onto a plate. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make four rolls.