Sesame-Coated Teriyaki Tofu
Lots of crunchy sesame seeds are the coating for these chunks of chewy, crusty marvels. You can also add a cup of cooked chopped broccoli to get your greens. Sliced raw sugar snaps make a fine garnish.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1⁄8 tsp. five spice powder
- 3⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 lb. fresh tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallions
- In a shallow bowl, combine egg and sesame oil. In another shallow bowl, mix flour with five-spice powder. Place sesame seeds in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge the tofu in the flour mixture, then dip in the egg mixture and toss in sesame seeds to coat. Lay the tofu in a single layer on a wire rack and let dry for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and pan fry the tofu until browned and crispy. Drain the tofu on paper towels, cut each slice into two triangles, and transfer to a large bowl. Add teriyaki sauce and toss to coat. Top with scallions before serving.