Sesame Hamburger Rolls
You should make hamburger rolls from scratch at least once in your life to appreciate the difference. After that it’s hard to go back! This dough can be shaped into hot dog buns too. Other toppings, such as poppy seeds or diced onions, can be sprinkled on the rolls before baking them.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 packet yeast
- 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Combine yeast, 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar, ginger, and 1⁄3 cup warm water in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Make egg wash by mixing egg with 2 tablespoons water. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine 1 cup water, butter, remaining sugar, salt, and baking powder. Using an electric mixer, mix in 1 1⁄2 cups flour and then the yeast mixture. Add remaining flour and knead with dough hook for 10 minutes. To knead by hand, fold dough over in half on top of itself and press it down and away from you. Give it a quarter turn and repeat for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough into an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours (until doubled in bulk). Punch down dough, divide it into six pieces, and shape into rolls. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 1⁄2 hours (until doubled in size).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Make egg wash by mixing egg with 2 tablespoons water. Set aside.
- Uncover buns, gently brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 20 minutes.