Sesame Rice and Vegetable Balls
These little nuggets of flavor are perfect for lunch or dinner.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
- ¼ small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small scallion (white and green parts), sliced, divided
- 1 Tbsp. finely diced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 tsp. black or white sesame seeds
- Rinse the rice well in a colander until the water runs clear. Bring rice, water, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, and remove from heat. Let steam for 15 minutes. Reserve.
- Heat the peanut oil in a small wok or frying pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the carrot and onion. Sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, scallion whites, and soy sauce. Cook for 2 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Place half the rice in a large bowl, and add the vegetable mixture. Form the mixture into golf ball-sized rounds. Reserve remaining rice for another use.
- Serve rice balls on greens, garnishing with sesame seeds and scallion greens.