Shallot and Garlic Macaroni and Cheese
Shallots and garlic combined with a rich and tangy Cheddar cream sauce make a wonderful main dish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 cups water
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 8 oz. medium pasta shells
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1¼ cups packed shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta, and cook for 7 minutes. Drain. Spoon the pasta into a 2-quart baking pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the cream, mustard, and Worcestershire. Heat the cream sauce until almost simmering, about 5 minutes. Slowly add 1 cup cheese, stirring until fully melted. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta.
- Top macaroni and cheese with panko and remaining Cheddar. Dot with remaining butter. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.