Although it is called a pie, this traditional Irish dish (make it with ground lamb for the British version) does not have a pastry crust. Sauté ground beef with onions, carrots and peas are bake under billowy mashed potatoes to make this ultimate comfort food.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" cubes
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup half-and-half, room temperature
- ½ cup white sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced fine
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large pot, add the sliced potatoes. Fill the pot with water so that the potatoes are just covered. Bring the pot to the boil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and return to the pot and mash with a potato masher until just smooth. Stir in the melted butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and 3 tablespoons of the half-and-half, adding more if needed, until creamy and smooth. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 400°F and spray a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter until it foams. Add the celery, onions, and carrots and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the ground beef to the pan and cook until the beef is thoroughly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook until no raw flour remains. Stir in the beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly, then stir in the frozen peas. Cook until the peas thaw.
- Pour the filling into the prepared dish and spread the mashed potatoes over the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes are lightly golden. Cool 10 minutes before serving.