Shepherd’s Pie with Cauliflower Crust
This recipe freezes very well, so save yourself some time by doubling the recipe and freezing half. You can use the frozen pie for dinner on a night that you don’t feel like cooking.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 cups cauliflower florets, boiled
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic salt
- 3⁄4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add celery and zucchini and sauté until soft, another 5 minutes.
- Add lamb, tomatoes, herbs, spices, and garlic powder and cook until no longer pink. Pour lamb mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Put boiled cauliflower, cream, butter, and garlic salt in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour cauliflower mixture on top of lamb. Top with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and pie is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.