Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato
This sweet twist on a traditional Shepherd’s Pie is sure to become a staple meal in your dinner recipe rotation.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp. margarine
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup canned corn
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Bring the water to a boil. Dissolve the beef bouillon in the boiling water. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and garlic salt.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the ground beef. When the ground beef is nearly cooked, drain off excess fat from the pan. Add the onion and carrots. Cook until the onion is tender. Add the bouillon sauce, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the potato topping. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with water to cover. Boil the potatoes until tender. Remove from heat and drain. Add the margarine and milk, and mash the potatoes. Stir in the paprika.
- Stir the canned corn into the ground beef mixture. Place the mixture in a deep casserole dish. Spread the mashed sweet potatoes on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are browned and the meat mixture is bubbling.