Short Crust for Tarts
This sweet, buttery crust is similar to a shortbread cookie and is perfect for dessert tarts.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- Cream together the sugar and butter until just combined. Add in the egg yolk and vanilla and mix well.
- Add in the flour and mix until the dough is smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator for 10 minutes to warm up. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a 1⁄8-inch thick, 12-inch circle, turning the dough often. Dust the surface with additional flour if needed.
- Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll it into a 10-inch tart pan, pressing the dough into the pan. Press your fingers against the rim of the pan to trim the dough. Cover with plastic and chill until ready to bake.