Short Crust for Tarts
This sweet, buttery crust is similar to a shortbread cookie and is perfect for dessert tarts.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- Cream together the sugar and butter until just combined. Add in the egg yolk and vanilla and mix well.
- Add in the flour and mix until the dough is smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator for 10 minutes to warm up. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a ⅛" thick, 12" circle, turning the dough often. Dust the surface with additional flour if needed.
- Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll it into a 10" tart pan, pressing the dough into the pan. Press your fingers against the rim of the pan to trim the dough. Cover with plastic and chill until ready to bake.