Shortcut Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Butternut squash soup gives this macaroni and cheese extra creaminess and elevates the flavor to satisfy adults and kids alike. We call that a win-win!
Serves: 6Prep: 10 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 boxes (7.25 oz. each) macaroni and cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups premade butternut squash soup
- 3 teaspoons thyme leaves, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler. Coat 9”x13” casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions. (Do not follow instructions after cooking noodles.) Drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, set large sauté pan over medium heat. Add oil and onion; cook 5 minutes. Add garlic; continue cooking 1 minute. Sprinkle flour evenly over mixture. Add cheese packets and water; stir until well combined and no clumps remain. Stir in soup and 2 teaspoons thyme. Stir in macaroni.
- In prepared casserole dish, add macaroni mixture; sprinkle with shredded cheese. Broil 8 minutes. Garnish with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme.
- Serve immediately, refrigerating any leftovers.