Shredded Chicken Tacos
These delicious tacos should be served with guacamole, sour cream, extra salsa, and chopped raw onions if you like food with a nice kick.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 ancho chili
- 2 tomatoes, seeded
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 8 taco shells
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups shredded Colby cheese
- 1⁄2 cup taco sauce or salsa
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper and mix well. Rub this mixture into the chicken breasts and place in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker along with the onions. Pour chicken broth over all. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours until chicken is completely cooked.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Roast and peel ancho chili and dice.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred with forks, and return to slow cooker. Add tomatoes and salsa, cover and cook 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat taco shells in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes until hot. Make tacos with chicken mixture and remaining ingredients.