This soup makes a fantastic starter for a fancy meal or make it the main course and serve with crackers and a salad.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. corn flour
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 1⁄2 lb. raw shrimp, with shells
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup clam broth
- 1 tsp. Splenda
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup all natural tomato juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. hot sauce
- 2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
- Combine flour and water and blend to form a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Peel and devein the shrimp. Reserve the shells from the shrimp.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the shrimp shells, water, lemon juice, and bay leaf to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion until soft. Blend in the flour paste. Add the shrimp broth, clam broth, Splenda, pepper, hot sauce, shrimp, and soy sauce. Stir and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Let cool. Purée in the blender until very smooth and thick. Return to the pot and stir in the tomato juice. Bring back to a boil. Add the milk or half-and-half. Heat but do not boil. Serve hot or refrigerate to serve cold.