Shrimp Bisque with Scallops
This is an elegant first course or a delicious light supper. It’s very easy to make in advance, adding the cream at the last minute when heating.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 small shallots, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 cups clam broth
- ½ lb. medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- ½ lb. bay scallops
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 6 large cooked shrimp
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté the shallots and garlic in the butter for 2–3 minutes.
- Blend in cornstarch and tomato paste. Add broth and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon in the shrimp and scallops and cook for 2–3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Using blender, blend in batches until puréed. Return to the pot and stir in cream.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top each bowl with a tablespoon of sherry and a whole shrimp.