Shrimp and Butternut Squash Soup
In this recipe, prepare the shrimp and chill that mixture while you oven roast the squash separately; then combine them.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 6 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1½ tsp. ground coriander, divided
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- ½ lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 medium butternut squash, quartered and seeded
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 4 tsp. minced cilantro
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Combine the lime juice, orange juice, ½ teaspoon coriander, crushed red pepper, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large bowl and whisk thoroughly. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate mixture for 2 hours.
- While the shrimp is marinating, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place squash pieces face down in a large roasting pan and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, about ⅛" deep. Cover the pan loosely with foil; bake for 50 minutes.
- Allow the squash to cool, then remove the skin. Using a blender, blend half the squash with about half the chicken broth. Pour the mixture into a soup pot. Prepare the other half of the squash the same way. Stir in the cream, orange zest, and remaining coriander. Cover and warm gently over low heat.
- In a large saucepan, heat the remaining oil. Drain the marinade from the shrimp. Place the shrimp in the pan and cook for 1 minute on each side.
- Pour the squash base into serving bowls. Top with shrimp and cilantro.