Shrimp and Chicken Paella
If you do not have a paellero, or paella pan, use a large, covered casserole dish that can be used on the stovetop. Paella is served in the pan in which it is cooked.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" chunks
- 8 oz. chorizo sausage, sliced into 1" chunks
- 1 cup rice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- ¼ tsp. saffron
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 4 canned or frozen artichoke hearts, chopped
- In a separate skillet (not the paella pan), heat 1 tablespoon olive oil; sauté the shrimp in the oil 3 to 4 minutes; remove and set aside. Add another 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and sauté the chicken in the oil until no longer pink; remove and set aside.
- Brown the sausage in the paella pan; set aside. Drain the drippings from the pan but do not clean or wipe it. Over medium-low heat, brown the rice lightly along with the garlic. Remove the garlic and discard. Add the chicken broth. Stir in the tomato, sausage, and saffron. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the peas and artichokes. Place the chicken on top. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Arrange the shrimp on top of the dish, cover, and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the rice is tender, the broth is absorbed, and the shrimp is heated through.