This soup is considered one of the highlights of Peruvian cuisine, with a balanced combination of flavors and textures. Freshwater shrimp is the best choice.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 6 cups fish stock
- 1 lb. medium-sized shrimp
- ¾ cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- ½ cup white rice
- 2 ears corn, cut in thick rounds
- 1 lb. medium yellow potatoes, peeled
- 16 large shrimp
- 1½ cups evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup queso fresco, diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 8 slices white bread
- 8 fried eggs
- 4 oz. queso fresco, cut in cubes
- Parsley sprigs, to garnish
- Heat the fish stock in a saucepan over medium heat. When boiling, cook the shrimp for 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, take them out of the stock and transfer to a chopping board.
- Peel the shrimp and separate the heads, reserving the tails. Inside the heads you will find two bags; discard the black one. Put peels and heads in blender, add 2 cups of the hot stock, and blend until smooth. Pass through a strainer, pressing the solids to release most of the liquid. Discard the solids and reserve the liquids (this is one of the secrets for a delicious chupe de camarones, because this liquid is full of flavor).
- Heat ½ cup oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and oregano and sauté until golden, about 5–7 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue cooking for 5 minutes; then add the fish stock that was left in the pan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to medium-low, add rice, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and potatoes and after 10 minutes, add the blended and strained fish and shrimp stock and the large shrimp. Cook for 7 minutes. Add milk, salt, and pepper and turn off the heat. Add cheese and green peas.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet and fry the white bread until nicely golden. Drain over paper towels. Fry the eggs, sunny side up.
- Serve in bowls. For each serving, put some medium shrimp with rice, a potato, a fried bread slice topped with a fried egg, a few cubes of queso fresco, and the hot liquid. Garnish with parsley and 2 large shrimp. Serve immediately.