This is a flavorful New Orleans–style shrimp Creole recipe with tomatoes, served over hot cooked rice.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. large shrimp
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp. Creole seasoning
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 3 cups hot cooked long-grain white rice
- Remove shells from shrimp, leaving tails on.
- Cook bacon in a medium saucepan until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Crumble and set aside.
- Add oil to bacon drippings to the pan. Stir in flour; continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until roux is medium to deep brown.
- Add onion, celery, and bell pepper. Cook over medium heat until tender, about 5–8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add Creole seasoning, tomatoes, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce. Simmer mixture for about 15–20 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and cook for 6–8 minutes until pink.
- Serve shrimp and sauce over rice.