There's shrimp, and then there's shrimp criollo. The secret that makes it so flavorful is in the special mix of spices and seasoning.
Serves: 8Prep: 5 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 green or red pepper, seeded & sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces white wine
- 8 ounces canned tomatoes, peeled or diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro to garnish
- In large pan over medium heat, cook olive oil, pepper, onion and celery for 5-7 minutes, until vegetables start to caramelize. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add white wine and deglaze the pan. Continue to cook to reduce by half.
- Using your hands, crush tomatoes and add to pan. Stir in cumin, salt and hot sauce.
- Add shrimp and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until shrimp are cooked through but still tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Finish with lemon and lime juices, a drizzle of olive oil and cilantro garnish.