Shrimp Egg Rolls
Serves: 8Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 lb. large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallions
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. five spice powder
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until softened. Add the shrimp and cook 3 minutes on both sides until just pink. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Add the scallions, celery, carrots, egg, and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and five spice powder and remove from heat.
- Dice the cooked shrimp. Stir completely into filling. Remove filing to a bowl.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a work surface. Spoon 1⁄3 cup of filling diagonally across and just below the center of the wrapper. Fold the bottom point over the filling. Fold in the side corners and roll to form a cylinder. Press corners to seal firmly. Moisten with water if necessary. Place, seam side down, on an oiled platter. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- In a 5-quart saucepan or a deep fryer, heat oil to 370°F. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.