Shrimp Fritters (Jhinge Ke Pakore)
These spicy, fried shrimp are a great appetizer with a cold drink.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. shrimp, tail on and deveined
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 serrano green chili, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Table salt, to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 heaping Tbsp. all purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Butterfly the shrimp and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the turmeric, red chili powder, green chili, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and salt; mix well.
- Place the eggs in a second dish. Place the flour in a shallow dish.
- Coat each shrimp with the spice mixture, then dip in the egg, and then coat with the flour. Continue until all the shrimp are coated. Discard any remaining eggs and flour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a deep pan to 350°. Deep-fry the shrimp, a few at a time, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.