Shrimp in Coconut Milk (Chingri Maacher Malai Curry)
This is a popular dish from the East Indian state of Bengal. Serve with basmati rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick (1”)
- 2 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1” piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- Water, as needed
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, minced
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (14 oz.) light coconut milk
- Table salt, to taste
- In a spice grinder, roughly grind the bay leaf, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, ginger, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of water if needed.
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the ground spice mixture and sauté for about 1 minute. Add the onions and sauté for 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions are well browned.
- Add the turmeric and mix well. Add the shrimp and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Add the coconut milk and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the gravy starts to thicken. Remove from heat and serve hot.