Shrimp Jalfrezi Style (Jhinga Jalfrezi)
Jalfrezi dishes have thick, spicy, tomato-based gravies. You can also make this dish with chicken or paneer (Indian cheese). Eat with basmati rice and Indian flat breads.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 dried red chilies, broken
- 3 serrano green chilies, slit down the sides and seeded
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large tomato, deseeded and diced
- 2 medium bell peppers, deseeded and diced
- 2” piece fresh gingerroot, julienned
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the cumin seeds; when they begin to sizzle, add the red and green chilies, onion, diced tomato, ginger, and bell peppers in quick succession. Sauté on high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, turmeric, and salt; sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through. The vegetables will still have a slight crunch to them. Serve hot.