Shrimp, Pork, Tofu and Basil Summer Rolls
Rolling up summer rolls may take a little practice, but once you’ve got it down, you’ll love making these rolls as appetizers, snacks, or lunch.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup water
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2½ Tbsp. gluten-free fish sauce
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- 4 oz. rice vermicelli noodles
- ¾ lb. boneless pork loin
- 24 medium shrimp
- 14 oz. firm tofu
- 16 rice paper sheets
- 8 large leaves Bibb lettuce, halved
- 16 small sprigs cilantro
- 32 fresh mint leaves
- 32 Thai basil or regular basil leaves
- 3 medium scallions, chopped, green part only
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- In a small serving bowl, whisk together water with lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, and garlic powder. Set sauce aside to dip rolls.
- Soak rice noodles in room temperature water at least 1 hour. Since noodles are very fine, use a sieve instead of a colander to drain. Gently press paper towels into sieve to soak up any excess water.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil and add pork. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 15–25 minutes or until pork is cooked through. Remove from water and allow to cool. Slice into thin strips. Set aside.
- Boil shrimp for 2–3 minutes or until opaque. Keep shell on shrimp and use a sharp knife to split shrimp in half along the back. Once cut in half, remove shell and tail and devein.
- Drain and pat tofu dry. Cut block in half, then slice into thirds.
- Fill a large pot with water and heat until hot but not boiling. Press 1 rice paper sheet into warm water with your hand and then remove as soon as it has been completely submerged. Tap off any excess water, then transfer to clean work surface. Smooth out with hand.
- In middle of rice paper sheet, arrange half lettuce leaf, 1 sprig cilantro, 2 mint leaves, 2 basil leaves, a few scallion tips, a few sprouts, and some rice noodles.
- Fold up bottom third of rice paper sheet over contents of roll, tuck in tightly, and then tuck in sides. Lay down a couple pieces of pork and top with a couple pieces of tofu. On upper-most third of rice paper sheet, layer 3 pieces of shrimp. Continue rolling up tightly, enclosing shrimp.
- Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy!