Shrimp and Scallion Egg Rolls
For a variation of this quick dish, add a small slice of bacon or drizzle of pesto on top of the shrimp before rolling them up.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. shrimp, shelled, deveined, and chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 12 egg roll wrappers (6" × 6"), cut into diagonals
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 small red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups peanut oil
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, pepper, and fish sauce. Allow shrimp to marinate in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- One at a time, place an egg roll wrapper half on a flat surface with the longest side of the triangle toward you. Place shrimp mixture at the bottom of the triangle and top with sprinkling of scallions, carrot and pepper. Brush the top corner and sides with the beaten egg. Fold in the sides of the wrapper and continue rolling the egg roll up until it is closed. Press to seal, set aside, and continue with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a wok to 375°F. In batches, fry the egg rolls until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the fried egg rolls to plates lined with paper towels to drain. Serve hot.