Sichuan-Spiced Butterflied Prawns
This dish tastes delicious with stir-fried spinach or Chinese greens. For added flavor, serve with a dipping sauce.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 tsp. Sichuan peppercorns, roasted and ground
- 5 Tbsp. breadcrumbs
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 10 large tiger prawns, shelled, with tails intact
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- To butterfly shrimp: hold shrimp by the tail and carefully cut a slit along the inside curve of the shrimp, without cutting all the way through.
- In a small bowl, mix the Sichuan peppercorns with the breadcrumbs.
- Add the oil to a preheated wok and heat to at least 350°F. To prepare prawns for deep-frying, hold them by the tail and dip them into the beaten egg, and then coat with the bread crumbs.
- When the oil is hot, deep-fry the prawns until they turn golden brown (about 1 minute). Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve warm.