Sicilian Eggplant Rolls
Save to My Recipes
Make these in advance and warm them up when you’re ready to eat them. The rolls make a great appetizer or side dish for dinner.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 40 minutes
- 1 medium (1 lb.) eggplant, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup pitted and chopped Sicilian olives
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut the eggplant in very thin (⅛") slices with a mandoline. Salt the slices and stack them on a plate; let sit under a weight for 15 minutes to release the liquid.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry with paper towels.
- Heat the oil to 300°F. Dip the slices in flour and fry until almost crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain the slices and then place a spoonful of the cheese and some chopped olives on the end of each slice. Roll and secure with a toothpick.
- Heat oven to 300°F. Sprinkle the rolls with Parmesan cheese and bake for 10 minutes. Serve warm.