Sicilian Pesto (Pesto alla Trapanese)
Sicilian pesto is different than the more commonly found Genovese basil pesto. This style uses almonds, tomatoes and only a hint of basil. Try tossing it with hot pasta or serving it as a spread on your next cheese board.
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 1 minuteTotal: 16 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup Kroger Brand Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 20 basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Prepare large bowl of ice water; set aside.
- Bring pot of water to boil. Score a small “X” in bottom of each tomato.
- Place tomatoes in boiling water; cook about 1 minute. Transfer tomatoes to ice water. Peel skins off.
- Cut tomatoes in half; scoop out seeds. Roughly chop remaining tomato flesh.
- In bowl of food processor, pulse together almonds and garlic until texture resembles coarse crumbs. Add basil and tomatoes. Turn on low; drizzle olive oil in. Process until mostly smooth.
- Stir in cheese. Salt to taste.
- Store refrigerated for up to 3 days.