The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. You can also increase the number of servings by using small tomatoes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 firm, medium-size ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1 can (7 oz.) tuna packed in olive oil, flaked
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp. capers, thoroughly washed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice about 1⁄4 inch off the top of each tomato. Using your index finger or a teaspoon, scoop out all of the pulp and seeds, leaving a hollow shell. Salt the insides of the tomatoes and turn them upside down over paper towels to drain.
- Drain the anchovy fillets and soak them in cold water for 10 minutes. Pat the fillets dry, then finely chop them.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and the garlic, and cook until soft but not yet beginning to color. Stir in the anchovy fillets and the tuna; cook for about 2 minutes, stirring often. Remove the sauté pan from the heat and add the chopped parsley, capers, and olives. Spoon the mixture into the hollowed tomatoes and sprinkle them with the Parmesan cheese and a few drops of olive oil.
- Arrange the stuffed tomatoes in a lightly oiled baking dish. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until they are tender and the cheese is golden brown. Serve them hot or at room temperature.