Simple Basmati Rice (Chawal)
Let the wonderful nutty flavor of the Indian basmati rice shine through. Serve this with any entrée of your choice.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Rinse the rice at least 3 or 4 times with water. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the rice and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the salt and lemon juice and return to boiling.
- Reduce the heat to low. Loosely cover the rice with a lid and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. You will see small craters forming on top of the rice.
- Cover and reduce the heat to the lowest setting; cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.