Simple Eggplant Caviar
With roasted eggplant as the star, this dip goes well with crackers, French bread, or vegetable crudité.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the eggplant in a baking dish and roast on the middle rack of the oven until very well done, about 1 hour. Let cool. Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the soft pulp with a serving spoon. Place on a cutting board and chop thoroughly, until it has the consistency of oatmeal.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the onions and red pepper and cook until they are very soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped eggplant and cook until the mixture is thickened. An indentation should remain when a spoon is depressed into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper.