Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into ½" pieces
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. whipping cream, divided
- 2 large egg, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and, using a pastry blender, work in the butter until coarse crumbs form. In a small bowl, combine ½ cup cream, one egg, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough gently until well mixed. Roll out into a 7" round. Cut into 8 wedges. Place the wedges on the baking sheet 2" to 3" apart. In a small bowl, lightly beat the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon cream. Brush the scones with the egg-cream mixture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a rack.