Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1⁄2-inches pieces
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. whipping cream, divided
- 2 large egg, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and, using a pastry blender, work in the butter until coarse crumbs form. In a small bowl, combine 1⁄2 cup cream, one egg, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough gently until well mixed. Roll out into a 7-inch round. Cut into 8 wedges. Place the wedges on the baking sheet 2 to 3 inches apart. In a small bowl, lightly beat the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon cream. Brush the scones with the egg-cream mixture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a rack.