Simple Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
This healthy, kid-friendly soup is made with canned tomatoes that are available year round at affordable prices. You can also make this soup with about 4 pounds of chopped fresh tomatoes if you prefer.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cans (14.5 oz.) low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 can (15 oz.) gluten-free chicken broth
- ½ tsp. salt
- In a small glass or microwave-safe bowl cook onions and butter in the microwave on high for 1 minute to soften them.
- Add onions, butter, tomatoes, honey, and chicken broth to a greased 4-quart slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- After cooking period is over, turn off slow cooker. Add salt to the soup. Allow soup to cool for about 20 minutes and then blend using an immersion blender or by pouring the soup (in batches) into a kitchen blender.