Simple Slow Cooker Vegetable Stock
Garlic is the base flavor of this vegetable stock. For a darker, rich sauce, oven-roast the vegetables until the onions are caramelized before adding them to the slow cooker. For a tomato-based flavor, substitute 2 cups of tomato juice for an equal amount of the water, or add 4 large, quartered tomatoes and reduce the water by
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large onions, peeled and halved
- 2 medium carrots, cleaned and cut into large pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut in half
- 1 bulb garlic
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4½ cups water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the slow cooker. Break the bulb of garlic into individual cloves; peel the garlic and add to the slow cooker. Add the peppercorns, bay leaf, water, and lemon juice. Add additional water if necessary to completely cover the vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Strain the stock through a fine-mesh strainer or through cheesecloth placed in a colander. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator, or freeze until needed.