Garlicky toasted breadcrumbs are the cheese substitute in this amazing dish that is made out of almost nothing at all. You can even omit the tomato topping if you donʼt have any.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (16 oz.) spaghetti
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 thick slices Italian bread, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, marinara, basil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well; set aside. In large saucepan heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add bread cubes; cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes or until bread is golden brown and toasted.
- As soon as pasta is done, drain and add to pan with bread. Toss with tongs and place in serving bowl. Top with tomato mixture and serve immediately.