Simple Tomato Sauce
Make a double batch of this tomato sauce and freeze some to have on hand for a quick dinner later.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground mustard
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- ⅛ tsp. dried lemon peel, crushed
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 oz.) no-salt-added tomato purée
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp. fine extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large, deep nonstick sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add celery, carrots, black pepper, and mustard; mix well. Sauté for 5 minutes. Drain the juice from diced tomatoes and reserve. Add drained tomatoes to the pot; sauté until all vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add sautéed tomato mixture to the bowl of a food processor; process until smooth. Return to the pan.
- Add reserved tomato juice, sugar, lemon peel, tomato sauce, tomato purée, bay leaves, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Remove bay leaves and add garlic and onion powders. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes until thick. Stir in olive oil.