Simple Welsh Rarebit
For best results, use aged Cheddar cheese and serve on crusty bread.
Serves: 1Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. nonalcoholic beer
- 1 tsp. butter or margarine
- ¼ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 2 thick slices Italian bread, toasted
- Fill a saucepan halfway with water and bring to a low simmer. Place a metal bowl over the saucepan and add the beer and butter to the bowl. Heat until warm.
- Add the cheese to the warmed beer. Heat on low until the cheese melts, stirring and making sure the water doesn’t boil.
- Add the egg. Stir gently so that the egg is mixed in but the mixture doesn’t begin to scramble. When the mixture has thickened, stir in the Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Spoon the rarebit over the bread. Place on a baking sheet and broil briefly in the oven until the cheese starts to brown, about 2 minutes.