The Simplest Roast Chicken
Try to make sure the chicken is cooked to exactly 160°F when you remove it from the oven. Roasting the chicken upside down also adds to this recipe.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 roaster chicken (2½ lb.), giblets removed
- 1 lemon
- 4 Tbsp. (½ stick) softened butter
- 2 tsp. seasoning salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Squeeze the lemon over the bird, and rub the juice all over it. Place the squeezed lemon in the cavity of the bird. Rub the chicken all over with the butter and seasoning salt.
- Place the chicken on a rack set in a roasting pan. Roast for 1 hour. Check the internal temperature of the chicken; when the thickest part of the thigh registers 160°F, remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. The internal temperature of the bird will increase to 165°F as it sits.