Simply Delicious Pasta Sauce
This chunky vegetable-packed tomato sauce is so flavorful! Delicious, healthy, and so easy to make, you may never buy the jarred stuff again. It freezes well too, so feel free to double the recipe and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months; thaw before serving.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (15 oz.) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 3 cans (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1½ Tbsp. agave nectar
- 2 tsp. all-purpose seasoning
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, celery, carrot, garlic, and mushrooms and cook, stirring, 5 minutes, until vegetables start to brown.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Cook until the mixture begins to bubble, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick and chunky.
- Remove from heat. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container, refrigerate, and use within 3 days.