Skillet Eggplant Parmesan
Like mushrooms, eggplants are somewhat “meaty” and offer a wonderful vegetarian option to dishes. Serve with crunchy bread or pasta.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large eggplant, cut into ½" slices
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Season the eggplant with Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the Parmesan cheese and flour. In a separate dish, place the beaten eggs. In a third dish place the Italian bread crumbs.
- Working with 1 piece of eggplant at a time, dredge the eggplant into the flour mixture, then in the beaten eggs, and finally the bread crumbs. Use fingers to gently adhere the bread crumbs to the eggplant and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining eggplant slices.
- Heat wok over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. In batches, fry the eggplant, for 1–2 minutes on each side until golden. Transfer the fried eggplant to a plate and tent with aluminum foil. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, adding more oil as needed.
- Preheat oven broiler. Spread the marinara sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Layer the eggplant over the sauce and place 1 slice cheese on top of each eggplant slice. Broil until the cheese has bubbled and browned. Top the eggplant with parsley.