Skirt Steak Flautas
Serve these crispy flautas with salsa and sour cream for dipping.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. grated lime zest
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- 3⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. garlic salt
- 1⁄2 lb. skirt steak
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup queso fresco
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 12 small flour tortillas (6 inches)
- In a large resealable bag, combine the lime juice, oil, lime zest, chili powder, salt, cumin, black pepper, and garlic salt. Add the beef and massage the marinade into the steak and seal the bag. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok over medium heat. Add the marinated steak and sear on both sides for 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and allow the beef to cool. Once cooled, chop up the steak into 1⁄2-inch pieces and place in bowl. Mix in the queso fresco and cilantro.
- Place 1 tortilla on a cutting board and place a few spoonfuls of the beef mixture in a line toward the bottom of the tortilla. Tightly roll up the tortilla and insert 1 to 2 toothpicks to secure the flauta. Repeat with the remaining beef mixture and tortillas.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok to 375°F. Working in batches, deep-fry the flautas until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes, turning halfway through. Carefully remove the flautas and drain on plates lined with paper towels. Serve hot.